First Lady’s Luncheon flowers displayed proudly
during the Congressional Club’s Open House
Founded in 1908, the original purpose of The Congressional Club was to provide a non-partisan setting for friendships among the spouses of members of the House and Senate in Washington, D.C. An active member is the spouse of a sitting or former Member of Congress, Supreme Court Justice, or Member of the President's Cabinet.
The activities of the Club have changed over the years. What was once a weekly program tea is now a bi-monthly luncheon featuring well-known speakers, musicians, and personalities. Red Cross work has been succeeded by Community Services. The Children's Party has become the family holiday party in December. The Club's largest social event is the annual First Lady's Luncheon, honoring the First Lady.
This month the beautiful American Grown flowers that were the talk of the First Lady’s Luncheon were proudly on display the following day throughout the Congressional Club. About 200 spouses of Members of Congress attended this Open House to support the Club and its fund raising activities. The centerpieces and linens from the Luncheon, as well as other items were sold to raise money for Charity. This year the beneficiary is the Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving which is committed to building quality, long-term, home and community-based services.
The Congressional Club is rich in history and tradition, and continues to be a source of great pride to its members.